The Region of Waterloo offers two types of affordable housing:
- Affordable Community Housing – Offering eligible individuals and families the opportunity to rent affordable housing in the Region of Waterloo.
- Affordable Home Ownership – A program that offers eligible individuals and families some money towards the purchase of a home in the Region of Waterloo.
Affordable Community Housing
The Affordable Community Housing project allows for low- to moderate-income households the opportunity to rent housing units at a lower price. The Region of Waterloo operates more than 2,700 affordable rental units in Kitchener, Waterloo and surrounding areas.
Who can apply for subsidized housing?
The following applies for each member of the household:
- Each member must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant (permanent resident), or refugee;
- At least one person in your household must be 16 years of age or older and be able to live independently;
- If you or any member of the household has arrears owing to any social housing provider in Ontario, Access to Housing will require confirmation that the member has entered into an agreement with the housing provider for repayment of the arrears before your application is processed;
- Your application will be rejected if any member of the household has been convicted in court or at the Ontario Rental Tribunal within the last two (2) years of an offence related to rent-geared-to-income housing under section 85 of the SHRA or a crime under the Criminal Code of Canada in relation to rent-geared-to-income assistance.
- If anyone in your household has a financial interest in another home anywhere in the world, you must agree, in writing, to divest yourself of the property within one (1) year of getting housed. You do not have to make this decision before you apply but you will have to make it before you get housed.
How can I apply?
To apply for Rental Housing, you must:
- Read the Guide to Applying for Community Housing
- Fill out an application form
- Print an Application for Community Housing
- Go to any of the Access Sites to pick up an application form
- Call 519-575-4833 to have an application mailed to you
Complete all sections of the application and be sure to attach all required documents before returning it to any of the Access Sites. If your application is approved, you will be entered onto the Region’s waiting list. When a unit becomes available, a Housing Provider will contact you. A catalogue of available housing unit types is available in the Community Housing Catalogue. Access a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) here.
When your application package is completed, mail, fax, or deliver in person to:
Community Housing Access Centre
235 King Street, 6th Floor
Kitchener, Ontario, N2G 4N5
Phone: (519) 575-4833 | Fax: (519) 575-4608
Affordable Home Ownership Program
This program provides eligible individuals and families with a loan for a down payment on a home. If you qualify you can receive five per cent of the purchase price of your home. The home must be:
- Located in the Region of Waterloo
- A maximum purchase price of $238,000
- Approved by the Region of Waterloo
Who can apply for this program?
To be eligible, you must:
- Qualify for a mortgage
- Have a maximum household income of $71,600
- Be at least 18 years of age and currently renting
- Not own or have an interest in a home
- Not owe money to a Community Housing landlord
- Be a legal resident of Canada
- Intent to have this as your only residence
How do I apply?
- Read the Affordable Home Ownership Program Fact Sheet.
- Complete the Affordable Home Ownership Application Form, which you can also have mailed or faxed to you by calling 519-575-4046.
- Drop off, mail or fax your completed application to:
Region of Waterloo, Housing Division
Attention: Affordable Home Ownership Program
150 Frederick Street, 8th Floor
Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3
Phone: (519) 575-4046 | Fax: (519) 575-4449